The Region

The place of "Os Cubos" is located along the Arronches stream. This small stream is populated with century old watermills and cultivated kitchen gardens in its riverbanks.

The "Vale de Cavalos" village has grown in the past 30 years from a small nucleus of houses including a bakery, a grocery and two pubs. Nowadays, there are also coffee shops, a small supermarket and restaurants.

Alegrete - 3 km

Alegrete is an old medieval village that was head of the county until 1855. Its castle was built by King D. Dinis. A walk around the city, with its white painted houses, will remind you of past times. A visit to the Main church and to the "Largo do coreto" is recommended, both featuring spectacular views.

Portalegre - 15 km

Portalgre is the head of the district and was founded by King Afonso III in 1259. Until then, its name was Portus Alacer. It is a beautiful city in the hillside of "Serra de São Mamede" with buildings full of history including several noble houses. A walk around its century old streets is highly recomended. A visit to the cathedral, the House-Museum of "José Régio", to the Portalegre Museum of tapestry Guy Fino, to the Robinson Foundation and to the local museum, are all mandatory.

Arronches – 13 km

This beautiful village is popularly known as "The land of pigs". According to the legend, the people from this village used to free their pigs in the morning. By late evening, the pigs would return to the pig sty to be fed and sleep. This village is surrounded by 5 bridges, the oldest one from the XV century. This spot is an excellent start for a walk around the village and a visit to the Main and "Nossa Senhora da Luz" churches. In "freguesia da Esperança" is possible to visit and appreciate palaeolithic paintings in caves.

Castelo de Vide – 36 km

Castelo de Vide was conquered to the Moors in 1148. In this century old village, Jews and Christians have always lived side by side in a brotherly manner. Also known as the "Sintra" of the "Alentejo" province, Castelo de Vide is a beautiful village full of interesting spots, namely the "Judiaria" and the Jewish museum, and the Castle.

Marvão – 34 km

Marvão is a medieval fortress conquered to the Moors by King D. Afonso Henriques in 1166. The very well preserved village inside the castle has been a candidate to the UNESCO World Heritage. Besides apprecianting the magnificient views of the Alentejo and Spanish prairies, a walk around this village is recomended as well as a visit to the ruins of the roman city of Ammaia (freguesia de S. Salvador da Aramenha).